Ruangguru still operates its online tutor marketplace and corporate learning management system. However, its main product is the online learning subscription. Subscription starts at IDR 285,000, allowing subscribers to access all learning materials according to their study year. Primarily dedicated to K-12, but has recently launched a vocational learning platform called Skill Academy.READ MORE
The first to use digital technology to boost education standards in Indonesia, Ruangguru’s range of products enable students and teachers to produce better results.
There are more than 14,000 small, scattered private tuition services in Indonesia.
Lack of feedback/review system
Students are not able to ascertain the quality of private tutors.
Outdated tech in schools
Indonesian schools are equipped with computers but lack suitable learning/teaching software.
The number of students enrolled in Indonesia.
Starting out as an online marketplace that connects students with private tutors, Ruangguru has since also developed a learning management system for teachers to create and assign homework on its platform, an exam practice feature and an app that co-founder Adamas Belva Syah Devara dubs the “Uber for tutoring service.”
While Ruangguru started out as a marketplace connecting students and private tutors, Ruangguru has since pivoted to creating an online learning platform for students in years 1 to 12, plus university admissions prep. “Ruangbelajar” (study room), as it is called, has thousands of online learning videos, practice questions, and infographic summaries of lessons. All content are provided through a subscription, starting from IDR 285,000 per month. A new platform called Skill Academy provides skill-up training courses targeted towards fresh graduates and professionals. Users pay once to access the content forever, and they can also earn certificates from completing courses.
As part of their MIT Solve project, Ruangguru developed a “digital bootcamp” feature, where students could join live classes and interact with tutors and fellow students. The feature has evolved and folded into a premium subscription of Ruangbelajar, called “Ruangbelajar Plus.”
Besides livestreamed lessons and exclusive mock-test practice, Ruangguru also provides career and interest counseling through the app. Another feature developed for the MIT Solve project involves loading lesson content in on-the-go (OTG) USB drives, which helps students access materials offline. Ruangguru sells the drives through various e-commerce sites, and the content can be accessed through the Ruangguru app, but without requiring an internet connection.
Ruangguru has also expanded its business model into corporate learning management system, called Ruangkerja. The system helps companies distribute employee training and skill development materials, and monitor employee progress through the materials. It also enables employees to access the materials through their mobile phone. The company claims that the system has been used to help more than 100,000 employees in various companies, including SOEs and private companies, and has helped increase lesson completion rates by 10 times.
- Products and Services
- Key Personnel
- The Launch
2014 - Ruangguru.com launched; gained funding from East Ventures.
April, launched Ruangguru.com.
- Founders Adamas Belva Syah Devara and Iman Usman were inspired to start Ruangguru following their own struggles in finding a good private tutor as students.
- Both founders worked on the startup remotely as they were completing their graduate studies abroad.
August, received early stage funding from East Ventures.
- East Ventures’ first education portfolio company in Southeast Asia.
- Cash would be used to further develop the online platform, achieve product-market fit, and scale up services in key cities in Indonesia.
- Aim is to eventually expand to the Southeast Asia market.
- With five employees.
2015 - Series of teacher outreach efforts and new products; clinched Series A financing.
Products and Services
June, partnered with DBS Indonesia Bank to unveil tes.ruangguru.com, an exam preparation website with game-like features.
- Provided graphical analysis on students’ performance and strengths and weaknesses.
November, launched Ruangguru.com Community Leaders Program 2015; partnered with Microsoft Indonesia to organize a Teachers Development Program; launched the Teachers’ Rewards and Referral Program.
- Ruangguru.com Community Leaders Program 2015: A four-month program aimed to build leadership and entrepreneurship skills. Opened to recent graduates and final semester university students. Consisted of field experiences, classes, and mentorship from CEO and top executives from Indonesian startups. Co-founders Iman and Belva were part of the mentor team.
- Teachers Development Program: Opened to private tutors. Aimed to increase teacher quality through technology.
- Teachers’ Rewards and Referral Program: Offered incentive bonuses up to IDR 1 million for high performing private tutors in the Ruangguru.com network.
December, launched free online try-out program for its public school curriculum.
- Targeted students from 6th grade in elementary school to 12th grade in high school.
- Designed to prepare students for national standardized exams in mathematics, Indonesian language, English language, sciences and social studies, depending on students’ grade level.
December, raised a 7-digit Series A financing from Venturra Capital, with participation from East Ventures.
- With the funding, co-founder Iman said the company was looking for talent across several areas, especially technical, business development, education development and digital marketing.
2016 - Opened local government talks to partner schools; launched on-demand tutoring app.
January, established an MoU with Republic of Indonesia’s Central Teachers’ Association (YPLP Pusat PGRI) to promote the use of technology in public school system.
- Aimed to implement tes.ruangguru.com in schools under YPLP Pusat PGRI
- Planned to familiarize teachers with tes.ruangguru.com.
- Teachers under YPLP Pusat PGRI would also receive additional training.
June, represented Indonesia at Google Developers Launchpad Accelerator.
- HijUp, Talenta, Jarvis Store, Ruangguru, IDNtimes and CodaShop were selected to represent Indonesia in the second Google Developers Launchpad Accelerator program in the US.
July, reached 20,000 downloads on Android Play Store.
Products and Services
March, released Android app.
- Students can take photos of homework questions and consult directly with tutors through chat messengers or audio calls.
- Service was free until 15 April 2016.
July, released mobile app for iOS devices and introduced new features.
- Single account system to access all of the company’s services from searching and booking a private tutor.
- Introduced smart search system.
- Direct messaging system to tutors.
- Practice tests features.
- On-demand online tutoring via the app feature.
July, co-founder and CEO Iman Usman became the company’s Chief Product Officer, and was replaced by co-founder Adamas Belva Syah Devara as the new CEO.
- Iman would be in charge of products, strategic partnerships (particularly with local governments) and communications, in his new role.
2017 - Launched Digital Bootcamp and LINE Academy; received grant from global mobile operator trade organization; raised Series B funding; won awards at the MIT competition.
Products and Services
March, Ruangguru launched the Digital Bootcamp feature for distance learning and partnered with LINE to launch LINE Academy, an exam tryout service for high school students planning to take the national university entrance exams.
The Digital Bootcamp will be aimed at students from sixth grade to high school, costing as low as IDR 350,000 (US$ 22.15) for one year’s worth of study materials. The fees can be paid by instalments and the learning materials may be downloaded for self study before commencement of the classroom-style chatroom sessions.
May, received grant from GSMA, the international trade body for mobile operators. The grant comes from GSMA’s Ecosystem Accelerator Innovation Fund.
The funds were used to launch its mobile-based educational content marketplace for personal tutors to be accessed by students on a freemium basis.
July, raised undisclosed Series B funding led by UOB Venture Management and also from the two existing investors East Ventures and Venturra Capital.
The funds were used to increase market reach, product adoption and to improve the content, technology, marketing and operations divisions of Ruangguru.
September, Ruangguru competed against almost 1,000 contenders from 103 countries to win three awards at the global MIT-Solve contest in New York, USA.
- Its Digital Bootcamp plan won the prestigious “Solver of MIT” award, the Atlassian Prize and DFAT Indo-Pacific Development Prize. The latter two prizes were awarded by the Atlassian Foundation and Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) respectively.
- The Digital Bootcamp helps high school dropouts pass high school-equivalent exams so they could access more job opportunities.
December, Ruangguru reached 6m users, up from 1m at the beginning of the year.
2018 - Started advertising campaign with brand ambassadors; received grant from MIT-Solve; signed MoU with SOE to develop mobile learning for employees.
January, appointed young actor Iqbaal Ramadhan as brand ambassador, in light of his achievements as a student in the US.
- Besides promoting the brand, Iqbaal was also involved in creating several English lesson videos for Ruangguru.
June, Ruangguru capped off their “#BelajarItuKeren” ("studying is cool") brand campaign in major cities across Indonesia.
May, Ruangguru announced that it had received a second grant from MIT-Solve, following up from their previous project to help 600 out-of-school youths. The amount of grant given was undisclosed and used to develop learning materials for basic workplace skills and work-readiness.
Products and Services
January, worked with President University to help the latter select 3,700 scholarship recipients. Applicants completed their tests on the Ruangguru platform.
March, Ruangguru and state-owned oil company Pertamina sign an MoU to develop Ruangkerja, an online learning management system for corporate clients.
- Using the platform, employers can distribute training materials and monitor completion progress.
- Employees can access the materials through an online app and finish their training anywhere.
August, announced collaboration with state-owned mobile carrier Telkomsel to promote online learning.
- Telkomsel introduced a new affordable data package with dedicated bandwidth for online learning for users of the LOOP prepaid card.
2019 - Raised $150m Series C funding led by General Atlantic and GGV Capital; CEO and founder Belva Devara appointed special aide to the President; Samsung mobile partnership; added gamification, tailored content recommendations.
October, opened Vietnam unit called Kien Guru. The Vietnamese branch to offer online learning content, similar to the Indonesian model, run by a local team.
Products and Services
April, Samsung Indonesia launched its Galaxy Tab A product, bundled with the Ruangguru app. Buyers get promotional access to Ruangguru's content library.
July, Ruangguru announced new features and developments in the lead-up to its 5th anniversary celebrations, including ramping up learning content production.
- This included a system that provides content recommendations based on each student's strengths and weaknesses in their studies.
- Added gamification of learning progress through an “adventure” screen.
December, Ruangguru announced that it raised $150m in a Series C round led by General Atlantic and GGV Capital.
- Ruangguru expressed hope that the partnership with General Atlantic and GGV would help it accelerate growth faster.
- Ashish Saboo, Managing Director and Head of General Atlantic Indonesia, joined Ruangguru's board of commissioners.
November, co-founder and CEO Belva Devara was appointed to join a special group of aides to President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo.
- Devara, along with the other aides, to provide advice to Jokowi regarding their areas of expertise through the perspective of young professionals and high-achievers in their field.
- Devara remains as CEO of Ruangguru, as he is not required to leave his private employment as presidential aide.
December, Ashish Saboo, Managing Director and Head of General Atlantic Indonesia, joined Ruangguru's board of commissioners, as part of the VC's investment in Ruangguru.
Ruangguru currently has 15m registered users and 300,000 teachers on its platform.
In March 2020, Ruangguru launched free online classes to help students keep up with their studies during coronavirus-related school closures. They also announced a collaboration with Telkomsel to provide 30GB free mobile data to access the lessons.
Ruangguru will be adding new features throughout 2020, including live classes and the ability to print out practice questions.
Ruangguru will also create flashcards to help students quickly memorize and understand concepts, as well as content aimed towards “character building”.
We pride ourselves on the accuracy of our information and reporting. Please help us by letting us know of any incomplete or inaccurate information on our website.
Indonesia Agritech Report 2020: Startups, Investors and Outlook
Indonesia is one of the world’s largest agricultural producers, with farming contributing nearly 13% to the national economy. The sector has been in slow decline for decades, however, hurt by poor yields and falling income. In recent years, thanks to startups seeking to use technology to boost the sector, Indonesian agriculture has found a new lease of life. From our interviews with key local agritech companies and investors in smart shrimp farming, farm-to-table e-commerce and more, CompassList has produced an in-depth and insightful survey of Indonesia’s agriculture sector and its prevailing challenges, complete with outlook and recommendations.
Indonesia Agritech Report 2020: Startups, Investors and OutlookDownload